First of all, Happy New Year!
My original plan was to hit the ground running with a fully finished novel and $1000 to get things going. So much for best laid yadda, yadda, yadda….
Instead, I have several half finished novels and…no fucking clue. Scratch that, I have a sort of clue, mostly because I have forced myself into a niche that is potentially profitable and something I can actually stomach writing.
So we begin with one pen name that has a seedling social media presence. In order of importance: Facebook, Instagram, blog, Pinterest, Twitter. I also have a book that I think will work well to start with. Now I just have to finish the damn thing.
I teetered back and forth with the idea of multiple pen names, mostly because I have some sort of ADHD that gets bored with one thing at a time, but with a day job, that’s just too many bowling pins to juggle. Perhaps when I quit, or this pen name completely bombs.
So again, starting off the year with:
- One Pen name for full-length novels (55K words or more)
- $1000 to get me rolling specifically with:
To Do this week:
- At least one social media thing a day
- Work on a cover for the first book
- 4000 a day, NO EXCUSES!
And since this is the first post of the New Year, 2018 GOALS:
- $500,000 in gross income from writing
- Start an LLC or some sort of limited liability company
- 10,000 Newsletter subscribers
- Make it to the Top 100 in Romance on Amazon
- USA Today bestseller
- Quit day job? (Only if Congress gets it’s act together re: ACA)
If you’re going to dream, dream big!
NOTE: Forget this post…it was during an earlier hopeful phase.
Earlier this week I made the decision to quit my day job.
For various reasons, I can’t leave until March at the earliest, which gives me a good 6 months to get this Romance Writing ball rolling. So instead of January 1, 2018 being my official start,
I start now October 1, 2016. Sorry!
I consider this a good thing since I thrive under pressure.
Already it has forced me to figure out what niche I’ll be in and how many pen names to have. My plan is as follows:
- Have one pen name that writes the more smutty novella stuff that I can pump out more regularly, but still earn a decent amount to pay for the big stuff like advertising, editing, and covers
- Have another “serious” pen name that focuses on novels in a single niche that is very branded. I want people to 1-click the fuck out of that pen name and make money on it even when I finally reach Early Retirement.
There’s nothing I love more than a challenge so I’m turning this into one. Which Pen Name will be the bigger success: Smutty McSmutface or Serious Romance*?
If you look at the current Top 100 of romance you’ll see a mix of both, so it truly is a toss-up. My rules:
- I will dedicate an equal amount of time and effort to each. This doesn’t mean I’ll be doing the same exact thing for both, just doing what I need to in terms of what (I suspect) the audience would prefer. So for example, I won’t be hiring professional cover models for the Smut and Facebook advertising, which is notoriously prudish, will be tricky, but I will be very active with the newsletter, Pinterest, and Facebook groups.
- I will dedicate an equal number of words per day to each. This may be a switch off each day or a division of a daily total. I haven’t figured it out yet.
And we’re off! May the best pen name win!
*Note: when I say “Serious” romance I don’t necessarily mean my niche will be the deep and heavy stuff. For all you know I could be writing romcom!